Thursday, November 14, 2013

working backwards from mid-week

Wednesday -- a leisurely day, at last.  Why does it seem that way?  I was home all day and since soup weather began yesterday, I made soup. Just a dusting, but enough to send me into the kitchen today.

I made three varieties (sorry, no pictures): split pea, just in time for lunch; potato leek & parsnip (a new one for me, but it tasted pretty good), and the requisite chicken soup, which is in a big pot in the fridge.

The only problem is that since I don't like chicken, I have to figure out what to do with the bird once I remove it from the soup. I mean, how much chicken salad can a person eat?? Especially this person.

Yesterday I spent all day in my mother's apartment, selling off all the lovely antique furniture that my children don't want and then part of the lovely and not-so-lovely collection of smaller items my antique-collecting mother had.  I unpacked a stack of plates hidden away, still wrapped in the 1992 newspaper she had used to wrap them in when she moved.  Then I remained to vacuum, tidy up, and do a little staging.  Spent from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, came home and collapsed.

Moving back to Monday -- went into NY to Cécile Trentini's opening at the Art Quilt Gallery. (Here we are at dinner after the opening)


So busy chatting (surprise) that I took only a couple of pictures.  Well, ok - three.  I only had my iPhone with me, so couldn't get a great photo of these - but they are mono prints sliced up and re-ordered and each is different from the others.

Here is her famous "Daily Beauty," which is the piece on which she based her book by the same name.  It is gorgeous in person! 

Cécile's motifs are squares and circles, handled in a variety of ways.  When we went to dinner after the opening we walked past a donut shop and I had to take this photo -- it fit right into the evening's visuals.

I started to pack for my Saturday trip to Pittsburgh but gave up after I started reading Tracy Chevalier's latest book, The Last Runaway.  I guess I am back to my normal schedule because I have stayed up late to finish the book and it is almost 2:am EST.  But aha - I have no obligations tomorrow and I can sleep late.  Will I figure out what to do with that soup chicken?  Maybe.  But I will also have to finish packing supplies.  See 'ya.

6 comments:

Cate Rose said...

I love Cecile's work -- especially the first piece, and the third one. Glad you're back on some sort of normal schedule. Hope your weekend is fun. Be well, my friend. xoxo

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love the first and third ones too! And I'm into making soup and even made a couple of loaves of whole-wheat bread last week... first time in a long time, but it tasted good! Guess I'll have to make some more. I'm glad you are making headway at your mom's place... such a lot of work to dispose of her belongings. Makes me want to clean out more cupboards and clear more out of the garage!

Ellen Askey said...

Interesting blog and amazing artwork!
I'm not sure how to contact you, so here goes - this is Libby's sister Ellen, trying to respond to your Caringbridge comment.
Please contact me at ellenaskey@sbcglobal.net.
Thanks!!!
P.S. It's soup weather in Houston, too, but no sign of snow.

Barbara said...

Love the 1st and 3rd too. Interested to learn the monoprint technique with slashing. Maybe at Needlearts workshop in January.

Linda Hicks said...

I like all of them! I should have been more aggressive when I was there and the show was being hung...but I can't skip Thanksgiving with the kids here to return to see. So clever, Daily Beauty...but the others fine as well. The donuts were not bad either :*)). Tasty in fact...but glorious were the walls. Thanks for your wonderful adventures.

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

I love the donut shop wall, I thought it was a fabric installation

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...